Wednesday 17 December 2014

Excerpt from a house concert


This Gat (from the Clip shared) is such an incredible composition of my Ustadji! Every time I play this Gat I marvel at the beauty of the composition. How beautifully he has interpreted the Sam of Rupak which happens to be it's Khaali as well and composed a Gat which brings out the colours of both Rupak and Yaman.
I have tried to play a few traditional Sapats of the Etawah Gharana. And, I have tried to play the Taans at 8 times the base Laya ending with Tihais. This, as most music lovers would know, is one of the hallmarks of my Ustadji's music.
A house concert is most enjoyable when there are musicians in your audience! I am happy that there were quite a few musicians there that evening. In such a situation, one thing is certain. There would be knowledgeable people giving 'daad' at the right moments. It makes it more enjoyable for the musician when he/she knows that his/her inner feelings are reaching the audience and they are conversing with him/her through their appreciation.

Raga Yaman - Rupak Taal
Tabla - Debopriyo Sarkar (student of Pandit Anindo Chatterjee)





No comments: