Monday 30 March 2015

Vilambit Rupak Taal based Gat in raga Charukeshi

I love this sublime composition by my Ustadji.
There is so much scope for elaboration yet it expresses the mood of the raga Charukeshi so well in only 4 lines.
I have seen that mostly instrumentalists end their taans (when accompanied by tihais) at the sam.
But you will see that Ustadji's way is to end at the mukhra.
Which is indeed very difficult to execute when the mukhra of the gat falls in a space between two beats and not on a beat (like in the traditional way). Spontaneous taans, tihais and vistar become even more difficult in such a setup.
But when and if you make them arrive in the right manner, they sound even more beautiful I feel!
On the tabla is Hindole Majumdar, a senior disciple of Pandit Sankha Chatterjee.
Please enjoy my recital. 



You can also take a look at my previous blog entry about this evening. -
http://subhranil.blogspot.in/2015/03/full-house-concert-on-3rd-of-march.html

No comments: